Our History

First Baptist Church of Graham was founded April 13, 1880.  A few years earlier settlers came to the area seeking new opportunities for themselves and their family.  Families started moving to Graham with dreams of the future.  One of the early settlers reflected in his diary that the territory was populated with buffalo and the fact that those animals seem to prefer Young county area above that of much of the surrounding areas, caused him to get the idea that this territory would be one of the finest cattle raising districts in the entire state of Texas.

It was on April 13, 1880 that Reverend W.B. Long was sent from the Baptist General Association. Rev. Long with other ministers gathered other Baptists and the church was organized.  Rev. W.B. Long served as the first pastor until June 1881.  For many years the First Baptist Church has been a place where God's word is preached, taught, and acted upon by doing ministry in the community.  By choice the First Baptist Church has always been located close the the center of Graham.  The first building still stands at the corner of Second and Grove.  We are currently located one block east of the city square on the corners of Third, Fourth and Cherry.

Pastors

1880-1881  Rev. W.B. Long

1881-1882  Rev. Compere

1883-1884  Rev. G.W. Black

 

 

1908-1910  Rev. T.E. Cannedy

1910-1911  Rev. R.T. Rouse

1911-1912  C.R. Taylor

1912-1915  Rev. W.D. Boswell

1915-1916  Rev. J.F. Huckelberry

1917-1918  Rev. J.R. Reynolds

1918-1923  Rev. C.R. Taylor

1924-1925  Rev. McKinley Norman

1925-1929  Rev. W.E.B Lockridge

1929-1941  Rev. J.D. Thorn

1941-1952  Rev. Dallas Lee
1952-1973  Rev. Hubert Foust
1974-1983  Rev. John C. Wiles
1984-1994  Rev. Ronnie G. Armstrong
1995-2009  Rev. James C. Hill

2010-2011  Dr. Tony Nickel
2012-          Dr. Mark Bumpus